Wednesday, June 11, 2014

What Is Your Purpose Here?

"Choose me!  Choose me!"
      The children on the playground were gathered around the two captains, each one waiting expectantly for his name to be called next.  Most of them didn't care which team they were on; they just wanted to be one of the first ones called.  Being one of the first to be chosen meant you were of more value than the rest.  If you were chosen last, it meant you were chosen by default.  One by one, the numbers dwindled, as two distinct teams were formed.  The children waited patiently until the last child was called.
      On more than one occasion, I was that last child.  I knew what it was like, firsthand, to be called only because there was no one else left.  I knew the humiliation of "not being good enough" to be on either team, and that had a huge effect on how I saw myself.
      Then one day when I was seventeen, I was chosen, but not by default.  I was the special one, but not because I was good enough.  In fact, being good enough was not part of His criteria for choosing me.  God chose me, because He loved me--and that was it!  There was nothing I could do to earn that love, nothing I had to prove.  He gave me back my self-esteem with the simple decision to trust Jesus Christ to be the Lord of my life.  He has since shown me, over these many years, that my life has a purpose.  If someone were to ask you right now what your purpose in this life is, what would you tell them...?

What Is Your Purpose Here?
By Lisa Marea Hare Wimberly

What is your purpose here;
Why have you been placed on this earth?
Do you know what God has intended for you
And why you were given birth?

You were created to worship the Lord;
He put in you a heart of praise.
He chose you from the beginning of time
To abide in Him all of your days.

But every day you make the choice,
To serve Him or go your own way.
For He has created in you a free will,
And He’ll never make you obey.

So today, what will your choice be?
His Word tells you what you must do.
Do what He says or do what you want;
The decision is all up to you.

If you choose to abide in Him,
Each day you will have your reward.
Life will hold more abundance than you’ve ever known,
When you give your heart to the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment