Friday, June 20, 2014

What Would We Do If We Didn't Have the Bible?


What would we do if we didn't have the Bible?
      Have you ever thought about that?  If the Word of God has spoken to you at any time (which, in my case, is every day), where would you be right now if you didn't have it to turn to?  Does it help you in your decision-making?  ("In all your ways, acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths." Proverbs 3:6) Does it help you find peace when you're going through a tough situation?  ("No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it." 1 Corinthians 10:13)  Is it the reason you are alive today?  For me, the answer would be "yes."
      Back when I was 21 years old, I had a "baby's" understanding of the Bible.  In fact, there was a particular verse in 1 Corinthians 3 that, through my misinterpretation of it, kept me from taking my own life. My life had fallen apart when my boyfriend of 2 years (and whom I thought I would marry) broke up with me.  I was beyond devastated.  I felt like I couldn't go on living.  Then this Scripture that I had read led me to believe that if I destroyed this temple (my body), God would destroy me (my soul), and I would spend eternity in Hell.  That's what stopped me.  Scripture had broken through to a mind that had become almost despondent.  Isn't it great that God can use our limited understanding of the Bible and make it turn out for our good?  But what if I hadn't had the Bible to turn to?
      That brings me to my point...
      How well do you know Scripture?  If your Bible was taken away, how much would you remember about what you have read?  It is not beyond the bounds of reality that one day the Bible could be banned. Each day we are getting closer to the Day of the Lord.  And with the way the world is heading, our Bibles might actually be taken away from us.  This is not something to be taken lightly.  It has already happened in other parts of the world, and it could very well happen here someday.
      I remember the mid-70's, when Bibles were being smuggled into Russia.  I would hear stories about what price Christians had to pay for their faith.  One man said that when they got hold of a Bible, they tore out the pages, giving each believer one page. Each person committed to memory the front and back of that page of Scripture, in case the page was found and taken away.  That way if there were no written pages left, they would still be able to accurately share the Word of God with each other.  Are you ready to be that radical?  If so, what are you doing today to get to know God's Word better and hide it in your heart? It's something to seriously think about--not just for you, but for the generation to come..
   

No comments:

Post a Comment