Thursday, May 29, 2014

Adam and Eve...


As I was reading in the book of Genesis recently, I made an interesting discovery that I had missed in the past.  In Genesis 2:15-16, it says that when God put Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden, He told them that “of every tree of the garden” they could freely eat, except for the “tree of the knowledge of good and evil.” This I knew, along with anybody else who has read the beginning of Genesis.  What I noticed this time, however, was that they were also allowed to eat of the “tree of life,” but neither one seemed to have any interest in it.   They chose disobedience to God, which they knew would result in death, over obeying God, with the guarantee of living forever.  In fact, the main reason God drove Adam and Eve out of the       garden was so that they would not have the ability to also eat of the tree of life (3:22).

We are no different today.  We knowingly choose what we know deep down inside is not good for us.  We choose to succumb to temptation, only this time we can’t see the “serpent.”  Then we make excuses and blame other people or our circumstances, which is part of the enemy’s ploy.  Satan still deceives today, just as he did in the garden of Eden.

I started to be taken in by Satan’s deception by something that happened at our business recently.  It was affecting me emotionally, when I am usually pretty upbeat.  Praise God that I have a husband who, unlike Adam’s “helpmate,” turned my eyes back to the Lord, not to the flesh! He told me that even though we are living a life of obedience to God in our business, Satan is trying to get in there and stir things up!  I am grateful that I have His Word to remind me that what was true back then is still true now. God never changes (James 1:17).  As long as I am in His Word (the “tree of life”) daily, I have a constant reminder of that fact, and I have a way to get through the valleys that come into my life… one by one.

No comments:

Post a Comment