Monday, May 26, 2014

God's Promises

When I think about that August in 2011, I can’t help but feel like Elisha after Elijah was taken away into heaven.  Even though I so missed being able to have those rich, lively conversations with Mama Bernice, it was as if in her silence while in the hospital, she imparted to me a double portion of what God had given to her.  She had such a heart for writing poetry, but it seems that poetry has come to me more quickly and easily than it did to her.  And I have more than doubled the number of poems she wrote (at least, that we know of).  Still, she was my inspiration in everything I wrote during the days she was in the hospital.

“God’s Promises” was given to me as a reminder that the only way to get through that “dark night” was to hold onto Him and His promises.  If you have been going through a tough situation, I hope that this poem will speak to you.

God’s Promises
When you are sad or in despair,
When it seems there’s no hope in sight,
Remember God said He would always be there
To watch over you day and night.

“I’ll never leave you nor forsake you”
Were the words that came from His heart.
And by faith we know that His words are true
And that nothing could make Him depart.

He said if we cleave to Him in love,
He would deliver us and He’d protect us.
Through trouble and danger we would rise above,
As we trust in Him to direct us.

He said if we would keep our eyes on Him,
He would keep us in perfect peace.
And that if we confess to Him our sin,
Our bondage to sin would cease.

When the way is hard and we can’t go on,
He is there every step of the way.
He won’t let us walk through this world alone;
By our side He will always stay.

He has told us on Him we should cast our cares,
For He cares for us more than we know.
And when our burdens are more than we can bear,
He has promised to lighten our load.

We’ll hold on to His Word through this dark, dark night,
And on His promises we will stand.
We will walk by faith and not by sight
As we cling to His almighty hand.

Lisa Marea Hare Wimberly
Written August 3, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment