Saturday, May 24, 2014

Remembering Mama Bernice...


As I said yesterday, my inspiration for drawing closer to the Lord came from my husband’s mom, Bernice Wilson Wimberly.  She and I would have lively discussions about scripture–she knew the Bible so well!  In fact, when she and I were in the middle of one of our discussions (even if it was in a restaurant), we would hardly acknowledge that anyone else was there. Nobody seemed to mind, though.

Most of the last 2 weeks of her life were spent in the hospital in a coma. I felt so connected to her that the only way I could really get through this time was to write poetry about her and about what our family was going through.

This poem was written 10 days before her passing…

Remembering Mama Bernice
In Holly Springs, Mississippi,
A baby girl arrived.
The firstborn of two sisters,
So glad to be alive!

She grew to be a woman
And soon became a wife.
Along came five small children,
Who were the joy of her life!

She taught them about Jesus,
To love and respect His Word.
And through her prayers and teaching,
They came to know the Lord.

A student of the scriptures,
Well-versed in all she read.
She loved to share what she had learned
And all that Jesus said.

Her memory for scripture
Could rival any pastor.
She could quote the chapter and the verse
If anybody asked her.

She had the sweetest temperament;
Her laughter made you smile.
When one would imitate her voice
We’d laugh for quite awhile!

She loved to sew and do her crafts
And occasionally did mending.
To make things for her family
Would give her joy unending.

She loved her crossword puzzles, too,
She’d do them every day.
They challenged her to use her mind
In an entertaining way.

Her poetry blessed those she knew,
The verses set in rhyme.
She spoke of what was dear to her heart
Each and every time.

Music was something she dearly loved;
Joy it would always bring.
The song, “Because of Who You Are”
Was what she loved most to sing.

She sang with her sister and family
Hymns from the ”good ol’ days,”
And she’d worship the Lord with her whole heart
As she sang the songs of praise.

And, oh, how she loved her family!
She’d do anything for each one!
Unconditional love which I witnessed
As I found this same love in her son.

I know that she was my mother-in-law
But more like my mama was she.
I loved her as if she were my own blood,
And she felt the same way about me.

About this dear, sweet lady
I could just go on and on.
And though we’ll nevermore see her here,
She’ll never be really gone.

She will be with her Lord and Savior,
Whom she waited her whole life to see.
He will say, “Enter in, precious daughter.
You have served me so faithfully.”

Each day as I think about Mama
And how much she has meant to me,
I’ll remember that one day we’ll meet again
Where we’ll live for eternity!

Lisa Marea Hare Wimberly  
Written August 7, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment